Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A Room of Her own

"A woman must have money and a room of one's own..." Virginia Woolf.

I was blogging over the weekend with a few ladies, I supposed PVE Design started it all. She has quite a few post on desk vignettes and after reading some of the comments I remembered an old Oprah show.
Chris Casson Madden was promoting her new book," A Room of Her Own". I, like her, and Virginia Woolf believe a woman needs to carve out a space to write and nurture her soul.
These rooms are the ideal. We don't all have the luxury of consuming an entire room of the house but until then... start with a space. Make it lovely. Make it comfortable. Make it a sanctuary...but, most of all make it your own.

image: Australia Vogue Living
Every woman can romance her soul in these surroundings. These rooms say you have permission to.... love you!


You needn't stay at home to romance your soul. In this peaceful Vietnam hideaway you're pampered, waited on....spoiled. How divine!

A garden room nestled amongst your favorite trees and plantings is a perfect hideaway. One can be enveloped in the foliage and the confines of a light filled space.

image: Southern Living If you're not ready to drift into the woods... claim the screened porch for yourself. Design and decorate it with a tropical feel then have the ladies over for lunch.

image: Southern Living

7 comments:

suzannemarques said...

what a fabulous idea! i always read about men having their own library, but women never claim a room that isn't shared by someone else. (musing over which room in my small house will be mine... :)

Red River Interiors,LLC said...

Suzanne:
you are so right...keep looking for a space to claim...it will make a difference in your life... Fay

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

I love the idea, I think it is something we all need. This post is beautiful!

Melissa

Kwana said...

I love all these rooms. My little nook is great, but one day I'd love a room that is truly my own.

pve design said...

Oh, I am thrilled that you took note of the various desk vignettes that I posted. It is so important that we claim a spot, a room to create and especially important for those of us who work from home.
A niche, a nook, a place to provide an area for thought to be arranged.

Red River Interiors,LLC said...

ladies:
thanks for the comments...let's keep inspiring and be inspired... Fay

Things That Inspire said...

What a great post! I just discovered your blog today when researching a post on settees. I just posted this evening, and give you a mention for pointing me to some of the great vignettes on the Thibaut website.

I look forward to reading more of your blog! I love your style.